It’s been a while, hasn’t it? 皆、元気？
Is it weird that I found the most enjoyment in drawing the stone road? I wish life were as pleasant as my fantasy drawing.
These last two months, I went crazy with the book buying. In my defense, I’ve also been reading a lot! So far, I’ve read 20 books, and I’ve bought 29. Almost balanced, right? Heh. Below is a list of books I bought, along with some relevant comments (an asterisk indicates that I’ve finished the book):
- I Shall Not Be Moved* by Maya Angelou – It’s embarrassing to admit, but until this collection of poems, I had never read anything by Ms. Angelou. I heard this isn’t her best collection of poems, so I’m looking forward to better reads by her! Bought on BookOutlet (BO – hehe) for cheap.
- Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut – I couldn’t really get into Slaughterhouse Five, so I want to give Vonnegut another chance. I intend to reread SH5 someday too. I bought this book at a bookstore that would SOO not be allowed to exist in earthquake-prone CA. I love that place.
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie – My good friend is reading it, and so I obviously want to read it too. Plus, I need to read more female authors that are not in the YA genre. Found it on BO.
- A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess – Bought it because it was available in the Penguin Modern Classics edition, and because I know I need to read this someday. Thx, BO.
- Invisible Cities by Italo Calvino – I paid full price for this at my local independent bookstore (at least I supported a small business). It just looked so clean. Also, a friend who I completely trust with book recommendations suggested it.
- The Shell Collector by Anthony Doerr – My roommate promised to lend me All the Light We Cannot See, and so I prepared myself for more Doerr. I also wanted some sort of short story collection. I saw it on sale at my local independent bookstore, so I pounced. I have now finished ATLWCS, and I’m excited to read more Doerr.
- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafrón – I heard some buzz from YT, and saw it at Goodwill (GW) for 89 cents. Done deal. Gotta support the Hispanic/Latino writers!
- The Strange Library* by Haruki Murakami – It has been decided that I will collect and own all Murakami books. This book was creepy, yo! BO sometimes has hidden treasures.
- Artful by Ali Smith – YTer loves her. Intrigued, so I bought it when I saw it on sale at my local independent bookstore. Recently, I’ve been artsy fartsy. Basically, I’m an artist, so now I wanna read a book about me.
- The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro – I LOVED The Remains of the Day and really liked Never Let Me Go. This book is supposed to be quite different, but all the true KI fans like it. I consider myself a fan. Also, 89 cents. Wut!?
- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor – Haven’t been enjoying very many YA books as of late. Let’s hope this is to my liking. 89 cents at GW!
- The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale – No idea why I bought this…Is this middle grade and a series? 89 cents, though!
- The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan – My mom bought the first book for me at a yard sale. I saw the second one at GW for 1.49ish, so boom! — bought!
- Night Film by Marisha Pessl – Probably heard it from YT. On sale at independent bookstore. Now it’s mine. Bwahaha. Roommate borrowed it, read it, and enjoyed it. At least someone reads the books I buy…
- I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson – This had been sitting in my BO cart for a while. Heard from YT that it was good. One day, it just ended up in my hands. You better be good!
- Stars Above by Marissa Meyer – Currently reading. It’s alright. Bought it Target when it came out.
- Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson – Buzz book that I found at GW for 89 cents.
- Burial Rites by Hannah Kent – YT recommendation. BO sale made this a pretty cheap buy.
- The Humans by Matt Haig – I apparently wanted to read this once upon a time. Found the name in a random sticky note. 89 cents.
- Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn – Liked Gone Girl, so then bought this for 89 cents.
- White Oleander by Janet Fitch – Oprah says I should read this. Cheap BO buy.
- The Book of Lost Things by John Connoly – Heard about it on YT. Supposed to be creepy. 1.49 at GW.
- Prayers for the Stolen by Jennifer Clement – Cover was pretty. Set in Mexico. BO had it for cheap.
- Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card – The nerds like it. I’m a nerd. I should like it. 89 cents.
- I Lived on Butterfly Hill by Marjorie Agosín – Set in Chile. Interested in Chilean history. 89 cents.
- The Martian by Andy Weir – Cannot see movie until I read this book. 89 cents. #oscarssowhite plug.
- Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor – Will eventually read the first book. Bought for cheap on BO. Probz shoulda waited until I read the first one.
- The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy – I’m a snob, so I pounce when I see anything that’s been short/long listed for Man Booker. 1.49 at GW.
- A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki – BO buy. There were enough recommenders on YT for me to finally give in and buy.